Thursday, October 13, 2016

Back to Blogging!

Fell down on my blogging efforts while opening a new Etsy store to ply my hand dyed yarns and woven wonders 😄.   Btw, anyone interested can see my new store here:
Coyotedyeandweaving.etsy.com

What I want to talk about today is the way technology has impacted the way we use bead weaving patterns.  In 2009, when I started designing patterns using pattern software, I printed out the pattern in order to follow the rows for beading on or off loom.  Quite frankly that was messy.  The pages got out of order, went missing, fell to the prey of my cats or some other such event that made me spend time reorganizing, reprinting, etc.  It used up an enormous amount of printer ink and printer paper as well.

Three years ago, after witnessing one of my grouchy sessions about missing pattern pages, my husband, the ever talented software designer, suggested I find away to use my iPad to display my pattern.  The pattern was in PDF as are all my patterns, so it was not hard to find an app that allowed me to access my patterns on Dropbox and display them for use on my iPad.

I could have just used Adobe Reader, but I chose PDF Expert by Readdle, which is a free app.  Not only can I display patterns in manageable sections I can mark on the pattern, too.  I can mark off rows  I've done and make annotations on colors.  It takes a bit of time to learn, but once you get the basics down you can take your patterns anywhere without losing a page.  It is also saves $$ because not only is it free, but you won't deplete your ink cartridges or waste paper.

That is just one way technology has streamlined the use of bead weaving patterns, making our favorite craft accessible and very portable.

No comments:

Post a Comment